Saturday, December 15, 2012

40 year old ovaries.....I wish I was kidding

So, this is just funny to me, but most people wouldn't appreciate it. I had surgery a month ago to remove a cyst on my right ovary and my OB took lots of pics so I could see the endometriosis, cyst, ovaries and my "pretty" uterus and intestines.....hey at least something in there looks good.

I had a scan on Monday at my fertility clinic and he e took a look at the pics to show him. He said "that's what I thought." Okay...no idea what that means. But, my uterus is perfect to hold a baby! Good news...then he finds a cyst on my left ovary. I can't produce eggs, but you need a cyst I can get you one. It wasn't there four weeks earlier and so it's just gonna hang out there for a while.

The next day I go to my OB for a post-op visit and we talk about the scan from Monday and the new cyst...he said the last one wasn't harmful so let's just leave this one. Then he says the best line ever...

"So, the only post-op thing you should know is that your ovaries look like a 40 year old pre-menopausal woman's ovaries...."

Unlike most people, I laughed. Logan doesn't find it funny, but after this journey I am not phased by anything. His staff and I are close (they've seen me more down there lately than anyone but Logan should). They laughed with me and we just decided if I didn't get multiples this first Ivf (with two embryos...only do that in severe cases under 30), I'd pop another embryo in there within 9-12 months or earlier if we can. The poor med student was so confused by my laughter and openness, but what else can I do. Lay home a cry like I did for two weeks after a failed Ivf?!?! Nope....I'm just gonna have two babies really close in age....

Crazy?!?! Yes!?!?! But, I've always been a medical mystery and for once I'm not. I am 28 with 40 year old ovaries....oh well...moving on to the next step.

Love to you all! You are helping me by commenting and emailing or texting or calling. Pass this onto others....silence is not an option!

No comments:

Post a Comment